Thursday, February 23, 2006

American Idol

I love watching American Idol. And while poking fun at the horrible auditions was really entertaining, my favorite parts are when the [supposedly] really good ones take the stage and the audience votes begin to matter. That started with the performances of the 24 semi-finalists last night and the night before, and here are my thoughts on the matter:

Girls
If only Stevie Scott had sung something better suited to her voice, like something from a Broadway musical. If only Heather Cox were more than just a pretty face (and a hot figure). But there were shining moments that night: wonderfully energetic fireball Paris Bennett; soulful Lisa Tucker; and just plain amazing (and gorgeous) Katharine McPhee (no relation, I assume, to Nanny McPhee). They're my favorites right now, but if I had to say which one is most likely to win the competition, it would have to be McPhee. Here's my rundown:

Amazing
Paris Bennett
Katharine McPhee
Lisa Tucker

Impressive
Mandisa

Good
Kinnik Sky
Ayla Brown
Kellie Pickler
Becky O'Donohue

? (I'm not sure what to think)
Melissa McGhee

Wrong Song Choice
Brenna Gethers
Stevie Scott

Shouldn't be back next week
Heather Cox

Boys
Simon Cowell was much more vicious with the guys than he was with the girls, and in many cases he was actually right to be so. The girls generally brought stronger performances, though there were, of course, stand-outs as well among the guy. Among them were Chris Daughtry (powerful performance), Elliott Yamin (according to Simon, the best male in five seasons), Jose "Sway" Penala (soulfully unique), and, of course, the always amusing and impressive Taylor Hicks. That guy does not look like an American Idol, but if he doesn't mess up, he's gonna get there.

Amazing
Chris Daughtry

Impressive
Taylor Hicks
Elliott Yamin
Jose "Sway" Penala

Good
Ace Young
Patrick Hall
Will Makar
David Radford
Gedeon McKinney

Emotionless
Kevin Covais

Shouldn't be back next week
Bucky Covington
Bobby Bennett (how did he get in in the first place?!)

2 comments:

eL said...

I never liked Stevie Scott. There was just something about her that annoyed me, for some reason.

Chris Daughtry ROCKS and was possibly the best guy I've seen so far...but Riese and I love Ace Young, haha! <3 I think he's cute and has a lot of potential, but he needed a little more power in his voice (I'm guessing he was nervous...then again, I do remember Simon saying something about his nerves).

Bobby Bennett (how did he get in in the first place?!)

I was asking myself the same thing when I watched his audition! Anyway, he's gone now, thank goodness. Vote for the Worst.com was rooting for him, blech.

evermoon said...

I was thinking, what if Stevie had sung something in her genre (i.e. operatic). It would have been interesting to hear that.

Taylor Hicks is SO amusing haha. Excited to hear them all again this week.