Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Other Otaku Stuff

Sigh. Haven't watched a movie for some time now. Last one I watched was, on DVD, Bronenosets Potyomkin (The Battleship Potemkin). Interesting film. With that and Wings, the first Oscar Best Picture winner (for production), I've realized that I'm beginning to like silent films. I fully intend to watch more of them.

Anyway, on to other stuff I'm interested in aside from movies (the blog IS, after all, named otaku). September and October are big months for my other interests, namely literature, music and gaming. Here's a rundown of some of the things I'm looking forward to:

SEPTEMBER
1) Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children DVD - Ok, still a film but...Finally! I've been waiting for this for more than a year! The trailer looks fantastic, and I'm sure it's the film that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within should have been. Bring on Cloud and co.!
2) DC Heroclix Icons - I'm actually not a very devoted player of Heroclix (yet), but I am planning to buy a booster pack of this to augment my growing army of heroes and villains. I'm not one for the really cheesy stuff, but if I find a veteran Superman, Alleluia.

OCTOBER
1) "Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time Book 11)" - Like many other WoT fans, the pacing of the books has annoyed me from time to time. I mean, practically NOTHING happened in Book 10! But that just makes Book 11 such a must-have. I was able to read the prologue, and I am very excited about it. If this is indeed the second-to-the-last book of the series, then A LOT is bound to happen.
2) "Extraordinary Machine" - The third studio album by musical wonder Fiona Apple. This has been shelved for far too long. Apple is a brilliant musician and her fans (myself included) are salivating for another album after "When the Pawn..." Will buy it as soon as it's out.
3) "A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book" - published by Guardians of Order. It promises to be the ultimate resource for the fantastic "A Song of Ice and Fire" books by George R.R. Martin. And it's a d20 book, too, so I can finally design characters and adventures based on this marvelous series.

And in November, the fourth book in that series, "A Feast for Crows," will finally be out. This is my favorite fantasy series of all time, and many are just as enamored of it as I am. Can't wait for this to come out and occupy most of my waking time.

No comments: